Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Sunday, October 06 2024 @ 11:18 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Search engine optimization

gcoulson

Anonymous
Does anyone know if the pages created by GeekLog are indexable by search engines. If we insert meta tags in the html in the stories, will the robots from the search engines be able to pick them up? Thanks Garland www.ebusinesstutor.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Most search engines nowadays ignore meta tags anyway since there was too much misuse of those in the past. I would be more concerned about the URLs. URLs like http://www.geeklog.net/comment.php?sid=20020802082511812&pid=0&type=article are not very search engine friendly. In other words: Hardly any robot will follow such a URL. I would assume that some mod_rewrite voodoo could help here, but I'm not too familiar with mod_rewrite ... bye, Dirk

Anonymous

Anonymous
if the url has a ? in it then it will not be picked up by 95% of all search engines.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
If Google is among the remaining 5% that would be enough for me ;-) And Google does pick up at least some URLs with a ? in them ... bye, Dirk

efarmboy

Forum User
Well, I've had a family website of some sorts for a few years now. I've often tried various Google searches and I always came up empty tring to find my site. I've had the GL site up for about 5 months and have tried a few Google searchs probally a month or so ago and it still was not aware of my site. I regularly see the Google robot searhing my site as per my server logs. I checked again today and voila, on most searches I come back as either the first hit or within the top 5.

Anonymous

Anonymous
I think search engine optimization is a really big ussue sooner or later for anyone using Geeklog. I've found that Google index my page once a week. Google indexes everything on my pages unless my articles. Probably is the article.php?story=20020802082511812 to long. Why can't we switch to the less space requiring auto_increment in MySQL?

Anonymous

Anonymous
Stupid question where should I put keywords to be found by search engines (is it header or???)

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:18 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content