Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Sunday, October 06 2024 @ 09:24 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

A Few Problems

Anonymous

Anonymous
I've been having a few problems with my site and was wondering if you could help me with them.

One problem is that the default theme I want to show does not show. I change the display setting in admin but it goes back to the default. Do I change the setting elsewhere. Second problem is that my site shows "1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near '' at line 1" and all these "LB" everywhere. How can I fix that?

Here's my site URL: Minoritytrends.com Thanks for all the help in advance.

isol8

Forum User
Regular Poster
never seen that before, but if you changed the default theme to evolution, its working

martialtiger

Anonymous
Hey isol8, I figured out how to change the default. I'm coming from using PHPNuke and this portal is a lot different. Any ideas on how to fix the "LB's" that show up everywhere. Or how to fix the "1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near '' at line 1" error? Thanks for replying.

isol8

Forum User
Regular Poster
not sure, but somebody should be able to help you out around here. i get that error sometimes in my log, but never on my page.

martialtiger

Anonymous
Thanks again isol8.

Spiros

Anonymous
1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'count FROM gl_stories WHERE draft_flag = 0 AND frontpage = 1' at line 1 i get this too! right on my site, http://souljerky.com (which i just installed and am flailing with...) any clues on fixing it? i also can't seem to make any changes to anything, even logged in as Admin... I've tried to change the password 20 times to no avail... any ideas on this? thanks, -

Anonymous

Anonymous
What I did was a fresh install and chmod all files including the *.thtml files to 666. And all the directories to 777. Hopefully, that'll solve the problem.

xsquared

Anonymous
Aren't those permissions a bit too wide-open? There aren't that many places in geeklog that need to be writeable by everyone. The .thtml files and most geeklog directories don't need to have write permission by everyone in them. Only a few directories and files (that I know of) need write permission in them which are:
  • /path/to/geeklog/logs (only need to be writeable by the web server program as far as I know)
  • /path/to/geeklog/public_html/images/articles (only if you use images in articles, I think)
  • /path/to/geeklog/public_html/images/userphotos (only if you have user photos enabled)
  • /path/to/geeklog/public_html/backend/geeklog.rdf (or whatever the rdf filename you use if you use that feature.)
  • /path/to/geeklog/backups (only needs to be writeable by the web server program if you wish to do web-based backups in the geeklog admin interface)

martialtiger

Anonymous
can we get someone to confirm exactly what files need to be chmod and with what permissions? I know I followed the installation guide, but had to change things around to have it work with my host. not sure what i've changed though. I've fiddled with different options and could never really determine what needs certain permissions that others don't.

xsquared

Anonymous
I had the same issue with a fresh install of geeklog saying "1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near '' at line 1" and interestingly enough, it had *nothing* to do with geeklog. I reinstalled geeklog (by deleting it and re-extracted it from the tarball) and still got the error. Even tried dropping the database and recreating it and still got the error. Double and triple checked the permissions and still got the error. Made sure file_uploads was on and register_globals was on and still got the error and made sure I restarted apache a few times and still got the error. I tried logging in and logging out and logging in again many many times and that still failed. So, I tried a longshot and visited the same site in mozilla and it worked just fine with no errors. Visited it in the browser I was using before (Opera) and it showed that error when trying to submit and edit stories. To get rid of that error that is only seen when I was in Opera, I had cleared the cache, history, and cookies of opera and I was able to submit and edit stories again! Weird huh? My guess is that some cookie Opera had for the site was passing some data that might have been invalid for some SQL query geeklog was doing and causing that error to appear when trying to submit or edit a story. Here is what was appearing in /path/to/geeklog/logs/error.log during the problem submitting and editing stories in geeklog: Tue 13 Aug 2002 12:57:45 AM EDT - 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near '' at line 1 SQL in question: SELECT username FROM gl_users WHERE uid = Tue 13 Aug 2002 01:00:50 AM EDT - 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near '' at line 1 SQL in question: SELECT username FROM gl_users WHERE uid =

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:24 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content