Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Sunday, October 06 2024 @ 04:31 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Move site to a new server...

Anonymous

Anonymous
I have a geeklog site in one server... No i find a sponsor for my site that will give to me the opportunity to free hosting of my site. So i need to move all my site without loosing anything (forum, addons, blocks, plugins) to a new server... How i will make this happen?? If i just back u the DB i think that i will loose the plugins and the addons?? Pleasee heeelp!

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Obviously, you will need to install the files for the plugins on your new server. The data for those is in the database, though. You may also need to copy over some of the config files (depends on the plugins you're using). Other things you will need to copy over include the user photos (images/userphotos) and story images (images/articles). Think about other customisations you may have made (themes? language file?) and copy over those files as well. bye, Dirk

Anonymous

Anonymous
But how i will restore my database from the backup?

cdriscoll

Anonymous
Geeklog DB backups are just really large SQL scripts to build the tables and populate them with the data. So put your db backup in an accessable location (ftp or network share), and when you have mysql installed and ready just create your geeklog database and then run the script like: mysql> source /path/to/db/backup.sql Hope this helps

odDonnellE

Forum User
Junior
Assuming
A) you installed everything in your root directory
Cool have ssh or telnet access on both servers
C) have phpMyAdmin 2.2.6 (and i assume the newer versions will look/work the same)

my advice is (and please someone that really knows what they are doing confirm my instuctions before anyone gives this a shot):

ssh or telnet in to old host.
type
tar czvf backup.tar.z *
wait while it works
when it has finished logout
connect via ftp to your old host
transfer the backup.tar.z file to your computer
logout when it has finished transferring
click on the database (left side)
under the list of tables (right side), look for the section that saysView dump (schema) of database
select 'structure and data'
click 'select all'
check 'save as file'
click 'go'
save that .sql file wherever you saved the backup.tar.z
click home (top left side), click logout (right side)
login to your new host's myphpadmin
select your database (assuming you've made it)
look for 'Run SQL query/queries on database whatever_your_database_is_called'
click 'choose' and go to where you stored the .sql file, select that, click 'open'
click 'go'
click 'home' then 'logout'
connect via ftp to your new host and transfer the the backup.tar.z file, logout when finished
ssh or telnet into your new host
type tar xzvfp backup.tar.z
let it work
logout when it has finished

and, in theory, you should be transfered to your new host. painfully.

again, someone with solid knowhow please say yes that will work or no that will not work =) i've done it in the past, but that was with my own set of php scripts and database. both of which were very simple, unlike geeklog. Wink

-Adam O'Donnell

Creator

Forum User
I've done this once before, and it's really very easy! Just copy ALL the files from the old server and put 'em all in the new. Update config.php with the new server/mysql settings.

Then go to your old mysql and (assuming you use phpmyadmin) just dump everything in it into a .sql file and then upload that file to the new mysql.

Presto, your GL has moved. As simple as that.

---
L. Whitworth
www.finiserv.com

L. Whitworth

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:31 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content