Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Sunday, October 06 2024 @ 06:43 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Need to ban users

Anonymous

Anonymous
I have a web site that many people are going inside.I have geeklog 1.36Cause this is a teams site many people from other team register to our site and they are sending stories with content not good..ou knwo... bad words etc...I am going all the time and deleting their accountsbut they are register again and again..I NEED TO BAN USERS by username or email...how i do this?

Creator

Forum User
Hmm I don't think GL has a ban by user, email, or ip address function (maybe this could be a feature request). But I'd do it either by moving the offensive users to a group and restricting that group's abilities so they cannot submit anything, etc. This would prevent them from signing up again with the same e-mail address and from posting anything you don't want.

One other option you have is to delete all those users, and hide the login block to anoymous users.

Yet another way to go about it is to turn on the user submission queue, delete the current nefarious users, and simply deny any new signups unless you know who it is from.

---
L. Whitworth
www.finiserv.com

L. Whitworth

Anonymous

Anonymous
Hi, We too have a website and would like to ban users. At this time all users posts have to be approved (I guess this is the geeklog default) which is fine with us, however how do we ban people who post Nuisance or offending comments. Is there anyway by which we can create a plugin ourselves(any tutorials available?). We have almost close to zero php knowledge but can learn. Thanks

Creator

Forum User
You could put in a request over at Gplugs. Learning PHP though... Heh... I'm definitely not the guy to ask here.

---
L. Whitworth
www.finiserv.com

L. Whitworth

Remdotc

Forum User
Chatty
With a little work, you can ban by ipaddresses by adding this script into your header (thtml) or you can add it in as a custom plugin. http://www.simhost.co.uk/phpscripts/ipcheck/ As for banning an individual user account. Just go in, and change the password of the user, and set the email to null. While this isnt the greatest sollution, its a tempory fix till someone either develops a script for geeklog, or someone codes it up

jerry

Anonymous
I asked on the mailing list if it was possible to create dynamic groups through user action (i.e., as versiontracker.com does to switch between Mac OS, Mac OS X, Windows). I'm assuming it isn't yet possible, since there was no response. It might be nice to be able to define the same thing through domains, i.e., set different groups depending on the domain they're coming in from (so that certain content could only be viewed onsite) or based on the domain of the e-mail address (so that restrictions can be placed on (or special permissions granted to) specific domains. Geeklog already recognizes at least partially that this would be useful. As I understand it, you can specify in config.php one domain for which users will be able to automatically sign up. (This might help the OP--if they turn on this, can they then turn off signups for everyone else? Look for $_CONF['allow_domains'].) Jerry---"Give a man a fish, and you've fed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and you've depleted the lake."--It Isn't Murder If They're Yankees

Anonymous

Anonymous
If your site is on a *nix server, you can also ban the abusive visitors' ip addresses using the .htaccess file. It works great. I use it on my site to also ban hotlinking and bad bots.

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:43 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content