Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, September 18 2024 @ 09:55 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Stupid CVS questions

chief123

Forum User
Chatty
Got a couple stupid (I'm sure) CVS questions. 1. Does the CVS include bug fixes as well as new features? 2. How stable is it generally? For example one thing that was recently added was the ability for users to delete their own account which I need. Or should I wait until the next version for all the goodies? 3. In relation to #2, are the functions in CVS complete or do the authors add a little here and there that make up the entire feature? For example if feature A is put in the CVS can I assume that is all of feature A or might it come in many different parts on many different days? 4. Is it acceptable to report bugs for things in CVS? 5. The nightly tarball - is that the complete CVS up to that point? Thanks

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
  1. Yes. CVS holds what will become the next release of Geeklog.
  2. We try to keep it in a working state, but it's usually just tested to the "it works" point.
  3. Usually, all the changes that are needed to make a feature work are included at once.
  4. Bug reports are welcome, but since CVS is not an official version, it's probably better not to use the bug tracker but to send them to a mailing list, e.g. geeklog-devtalk.
  5. Yes. The nightly tarball is created by a cronjob that simply does a CVS checkout, so it includes all changes up to that point.

Using a CVS version is not for the faint of heart. A certain knowledge of PHP and MySQL is recommended. There's no support for the CVS version - it's a work in progress and things can change at any time. That includes database structures, so you may end up having to make database changes manually. There's no official upgrade path from CVS versions either - we assume that those who use CVS versions know exactly what they're doing. To stay up to date with the development efforts, it probably helps to subscribe to the geeklog-cvs and geeklog-devtalk mailing lists and to lurk on IRC.

To repeat: CVS holds the current state of development. When we feel it's okay to use for everybody, then we will make a release. There's support for released versions but when you use CVS, you're on your own.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:55 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content