Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, September 19 2024 @ 11:42 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Website slow..really slow.

Scott

Anonymous
Hello, I\'ve found lately that my website has been slow. Really slow, to the point where sometimes it\'ll start to load, then give me the \"Website didnt respond\" error/timeout. Sometimes it\'ll load my header, and the left navigation bar...but thats all. My page creation time when I get on though, is usually 2-3 seconds max, so I\'m not sure what the problem could be. I\'m guessing that its because we\'ve gained a lot of users recently, and also installed the forum plugin which is geting a lot of use. Could this be the cause?

Scott

Anonymous
Also, the slowdown seems to be mostly when I go to the main page, or to a topic indext. Rest of the site is fine.

Interested

Anonymous
Maybe you have a stocks plugin installed or weather or something like that. I have discovered that sometimes the feeds for these excellent plugins (genuflecting before their authors) are not always operational and will cause a site to crash or slow WAAAAAY down. Seems there ought to be a way to gracefully timeout access attempts to these services.

Scott

Anonymous
Only plugins I have are: - Forum plugin(disabled last ten posts from main page and that didnt stop it) - Whats New - Statistics(where people came from, who logged on today).

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Scott:Statistics(where people came from, who logged on today).
Try disabling that. I think I saw some comments that it can really slow things down ... bye, Dirk

Scott

Anonymous
Yes you\'re right Dirk that was the big slowdown! I disabled it, and removed the block from the front page and it worked fine. Thanks alot Dirk. Much appreciated. Sucks that it causes such a slowdown too. It was a great plugin.

Scott

Anonymous
I\'ve now found out a good way to use the stats plugin...you can enable it..just do NOT have the block on the side of your page, otherwise that will cause the major slowdown. Now, every page runs fast for me except the stats page Big Grin

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:42 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content