Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, September 07 2024 @ 11:53 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Links to open new window

Andrew

Anonymous
Hi, how do I get the links section to open a new window? Thanks, Andrew K.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
If you really want that (despite a lot of arguments speaking against it), you can edit links/linkdetails.html in your theme. bye, Dirk

exaurdon

Forum User
Regular Poster
As Dirk says, opening the an internal site page in a new window is not generally recommended, as it is not expected by users (if they really want the page to open in a new window, they can always right click the link and open in a new window/tab). In the file Dirk mentioned, I believe you would want to insert: Arrow target=\"blank\" after the href=\"url_stuff\" part of the link A more common approach, which still should be used carefully, is to have each link on the links page open in a new window, so your page stays avaliable in the background. This should only be used though, in cases where you were sure the user would be returning to your site again. Don\'t overuse these, especially since more and more people are blocking \'pop-up\' windows, so these links will fail for those people, and tey will have to manually follow the link anyway. Exaurdon

DTrumbower

Forum User
If you really want a good example of why not to do it, check this site and click on a few links. I have been trying to convice the author not to do it and also to use geeklog. Slow going so far.

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:53 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content