Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Monday, September 16 2024 @ 03:16 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

New Install-migrating old data question

vadertech

Forum User
I am still running Geeklog 1.3.7sr2 and want to upgrade to the latest 1.3.8-1sr2 release. From what i've read, the best way and if not only way to do this is by doing a New Installation. My question is what is the easiest way to migrate the existing database into the new one. I created a new database for the new install, is this right? Also, can I just copy my lib-custom.php from 1.3.7-2 to the new 1.3.8-1sr2 directory. Am I doing this the hard way and if so, what is the easiest way to do this new install?

Thanks
GeekLog Hosting, Installations and Upgrades - WWW.AWEHOST.COM - Hosting starts @ only $4.95/mo.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
There is a section about upgrading in the documentation ...

Short summary: Replace all the files, keep the database, run the install script in upgrade mode (thus upgrading your database).

bye, Dirk

vadertech

Forum User
Doesnt seem to hard. What I went ahead and did was created a new directory for the 1.3.8-1sr2 and created another database and imported my table structure and data from existing database. I set config.php to point to this new database. So now, the new database is an exact duplicate of original. After clicking Next on step 2 on upgrade, i get "An SQL error has occured. Please see error.log for details." I checked my error.log file but it is empty. It has write permissions. Do you know if this has something to do with pointing it to a different database name? I wouldnt think it would know the difference as long as it is set in config.php.
GeekLog Hosting, Installations and Upgrades - WWW.AWEHOST.COM - Hosting starts @ only $4.95/mo.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Yeah, as has been mentioned elsewhere, the install script is overdoing it a bit with security - it doesn't write to the error.log (never did), but doesn't display the error in the browser either (that has been introduced in 1.3.8-1sr1).

I'll need to look into this and will probably make a "silent upgrade" of the 1.3.8-1sr2 tarball some time this coming weekend ...

Until then, here's a quick fix: In system/databases/mysql.class.php, find the line that reads

var $_display_error = false;

and change it to

var $_display_error = true;

Then run the install script again - it should display the error now.

Also make sure to undo this change once you have the site up and running again.

bye, Dirk

vadertech

Forum User
thanks again, getting closer. The error displayed is
"1060: Duplicate column name 'is_default'"

Not much help to me.

Edit: Ah, the power of google.
http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=1&showtopic=19671

Reading this now, looks like I ran into this problem the last time i tried to upgrade but never did. Surprised!

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:16 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content