Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Monday, September 16 2024 @ 04:11 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Archive? all-inclusive story list..

JohnnyWormtown

Forum User
Junior
Basically the way the index operates, except that I don't want it on the front page, I want a bunch of static information and the occasional featured story or two on the front page. Therefore I've set my stories to "Show Only in Topic" .... I just want to know if there's a way around that. Is there a way to browse all the stories, even though they're set to Show Only in Topic.

Alternately, A Separate Page or Centerblock version of "Older Stories" without a limit and/or that could be continued onto another page after 50 stories or so would work just as well.

Is either of these ideas possible?

JohnnyWormtown

Forum User
Junior
I don't know if there was an easier way (my first programming teacher in high school always told me I seemed to find the most difficult and roundabout ways of getting things done) but I accomplished what I wanted.

I tweaked/rewrote the COM_olderStuff into my function and popped it in lib-custom. I changed it to group the stories by Month - Year instead of month-day and I made it send its output to a centerblock (instead of the older_stories block).

I made two blocks, a centerblock that the above fundtion wrote its data to and a phpBlock that called a function that did nothing but call the other function. Both of those blocks only appear in my new Topic titled Archives.

Clever? no?
I'll bet there was an easier way... lay it on me, I can take it.

Two things bug me about this:

There's a block with no actual content, and my table structure is kinda, loose I think, so the thing doesn't even show up (or do blocks autmoagically not render if their content is empty?)

The content of the centerblock that gets written by the function is actually the content from the last time the function was run...

I'm too tired to figure out why or fix it;
I just loaded in 2 years worth of backstories

I would still like to spearate this output into pages if it's possible, too... like a page every twelve months or something. I can grasp the math part... the extra loop in the function, but I'm not too clear on how the PHP handles splitting data among pages.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by JohnnyWormtown: (or do blocks autmoagically not render if their content is empty?)

That's exactly what they do. It's a feature, not a bug

bye, Dirk

JohnnyWormtown

Forum User
Junior
cool, any words of wisdom on the rest of my stuff?

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:11 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content