Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, September 07 2024 @ 11:24 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Non contributing readers?

Jefficus

Forum User
Chatty
Sigh. I thought I understood the permission system.

I have a story topic, let's call it Puppies. Stories in this channel are very special, so I want to control who can see them. I created a group called Puppy Readers. The Puppy topic has the group set to Puppy Readers and is set to Read only.

I have an even more restricted group - the people whom I would like to be allowed to submit stories to this group. I created another group: Puppy Authors which inherits from Puppy Readers. I set the story.submit flag on this group.

However, I created a user and added him to Puppy Readers. He is able to see the Puppy topic in his submission panel. Ideally, I would like for him to NOT see that, since he has no submission permission on this channel.

Is this just a "that's the way it is" issue, or have I done something wrong with the setup?

This has been an opinion, brought to you by the fine people at Jefficus World.

Euan

Forum User
confused
Quote by Jefficus: Puppy Authors which inherits from Puppy Readers.

Did you set these the right way around? To be honest, this has me tied up in knots all the time too. There is an explanation of this somewhere if you do a search, but I have a feeling that something is back to front in it. Or I got that impression.

It would help me and perhaps lots of others too if there was a clear explanation of group assignments and access rights (including the mysql tables and column names) in the FAQ for plugin developers. I know that there is a story out there that does this partly, but I remember having troubles despite that.

Cheers,

Euan.
-- Heather Engineering
-- No job too small

Jefficus

Forum User
Chatty
D'oh! Turns out that story.submit permission is NOT permission to submit a story. It is permission to submit a story without waiting for approval.

So I don't think there is a way to separate out people with permission to contribute stories (that require approval first) from people who can't even contribute.

Oh well. I can live without it I guess.

To reduce the chance of other people making the same msitake, I suggest the permission be renamed story.autoapprove.
This has been an opinion, brought to you by the fine people at Jefficus World.

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:24 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content