Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, September 07 2024 @ 11:02 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Theming Envy!

dewdoo

Forum User
Chatty
Lately, I have been envious on some of the temes that have came out! I am really a novice about creating my own theme. So I am calling out all themers to give some helpful tips on creating themes for geeklog. I have look at some sites in creating themes in phpnuke and mambo and it seems simple to do, but I use geeklog as my CMS. I did notice most theming is created by using photoshop for a design then dreamweaver. I know dreamweaver breaks geeklog thml files. So do I have to code (modify) blindly? I am so used to a gui interface to see what I am doing (mac user).

By putting up this topic, hopefully will generate a whole new breed of themers. And for the experienced themers can give use some helpul tips.

TechSys

Forum User
Regular Poster
The first thing I would do is find a theme that is very close to what you like, then modify it. I took the apv-aeon theme and started on the colors, but will (eventually) change other things.
Then, I would read, step-by-step, the Theme How-To. Reading that will help out very much. The only thing I am getting stumped on is the forum stuff.. right now. I also use Homesite for editing my themes, but you can use just about any editor (wysiwyg really not recommended by me).

just my .02
http://70.145.174.180/

trenchteam

Forum User
Regular Poster
I use other themes then modify to fit my needs. Its much easier this way. Stick to Notepad or Wordpad for changes. I used to use dreamweaver alot, but it does screw with geeklogs files.

Robin

Forum User
Also take a look here.
Geeklog Polish Support Team

inspiremin

Forum User
Regular Poster
Adapting a theme is much easier than creating one from scratch. As the other posts said, find one that is close, then change it.

You can see my first attempt at www.inSPIREministries.com.

It is based on the 'gameserver' theme, but they have very little in common visually.

I have Dreamweaver, but have never used it with Geeklog.

I have a Geeklog 'test site' on my server where I upload adapted files to be sure they work before I put them on a public site.

A few people have asked for my 'inSPIREd' theme. After I finish it, I will put it up on this site.

Blessings!

inSPIREmin
www.Scripturetoolkit.com www.inSPIREministries.com

JohnVanVliet

Forum User
modifing an existing one is far easer for i biginner
mine was Evolution then made some changes and a hack for the downloades

also i find that dev-php from sourceforge helps in editing
Dev-php--here--

jhk

Forum User
Chatty
nerdy
If you want to see how a particular theme works with tables, divs, etc., you should use FireFox og Mozilla and install the Webdeveloper plugin. This allows you to have certain types of elements outlined and you can even (in FF) change the stylesheet "on the fly". Saves you a lot of time fiddling with the CSS and reloading the site.

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:02 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content