Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Sunday, October 06 2024 @ 11:21 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

on upgrd, how to handle plugins?

tstockma

Forum User
I'm upgrading from 1.3.8-1sr6 to 1.3.11. I think I'm close to running the install script, I'm renaming my "htdocs" directory to something else so I'll be following the instructions for upgrade, it's almost a new install (db changes excepting).

How do I handle the plugins? Do I re-install them as well, ignoring DB errors (tables and fields already exist), or do I hunt-n-copy all their files over?

Thanks for any help!

Tom
www.southparkcity.com

vadertech

Forum User
I've never had a problem copying my plugins over to the new install.
(/plugins, /public_html/(plugin_name), /public_html/admin/plugins)

And run the install upgrade sql for your database.

Make sure to have a backup.
GeekLog Hosting, Installations and Upgrades - WWW.AWEHOST.COM - Hosting starts @ only $4.95/mo.

tstockma

Forum User
Awesome. Thanks, Vader!

Re backups...yes, I've simply renamed my htdocs & geeklog directory, I even created a new database using a db backup & the new install will go against it...

I can't resist...

Later, Vader! See ya later alligator.
Tom
www.southparkcity.com

vadertech

Forum User
Anything for the mayor of South Park. Big Celebration
GeekLog Hosting, Installations and Upgrades - WWW.AWEHOST.COM - Hosting starts @ only $4.95/mo.

tstockma

Forum User
ROTL, good one, Vader!

Aaarg however, my upgrade is going very poorly, each time on the initial run of the install script of 1.3.11 I get errors, then I do something that hopefully would correct the problem, wipe & re-restore that database, & try again.

(I've actually restored the site to 1.3.8-1sr6 & won't get back to trying upgrades until Sunday.)

Here's the plugin condition & question I have:

After fixing 4 or 5 things like that, it started complaining that it couldn't find the the /admin/plugin/forum and also dailyquote directories, also looking for specific files in those dirs.

So I copied lots of the plugin files into the correct directories _before_ installing...then had more problems, so I'm starting over on Sunday trying with the initial uncompress & going back all the way to the beginning.

Question: do you typically have to do _anything_ about plugins before doing the initial install of 1.3.11 & upgrade of the database, when doing an upgrade to 1.3.11? Or is the fact I'm running into it indicative of problems (probably my config, of course) where I need to stop & figure out what I've done wrong BEFORE then install script.

Thanks for any help on this, everyone!

Tom
Tom
www.southparkcity.com

vadertech

Forum User
Next time post your errors or take a screenshot and post a link. It will make it easier for everyone.

I would get the site working first(default install), then copy the plugin directories. Nothing needs to be changed for your plugins to work.

tstockma

Forum User
Thanks, yes, I agree about msgs & screenshots...I tried to blow thru this one, when I hit it Sunday I'll go slowly & be ready to record what I actually get.

It helps to have your re-confirmation that the initial install really doesn't normally get any problems with the plugins.

Thanks, Vandertech, when I go for it again I'll have more time & get the full info!

Tom
Tom
www.southparkcity.com

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:21 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content