Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, September 21 2024 @ 01:54 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

HTML in story title

Robin

Forum User
caffeinated
Hello,
I need to include some html tags in a story title, however it's being stripped off during story save.
When I enter it directly to DB it works fine but again during edit it's lost.
What is directly responsible for that? What and where do I need to modify (GL 1.3.11)
Many thanks in advance.
Geeklog Polish Support Team

beewee

Forum User
change storytext.thtml in the layout directory, and perhaps style.css as well
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

Robin

Forum User
Quote by beewee: change storytext.thtml in the layout directory, and perhaps style.css as well

Hi
Thank you for your suggestion Smile however this is not what I'm looking for Wink
To be more specific I would like to be able add an image (html tag) to story title, therefore changing templates ain't enough.
Thank again

knuff

Forum User
Hi Robin,

I would suggest to rethink your options and see what you really want to achieve.

Adding images to the title field will not be straightforward and add some complexity to it as the story title is called on many different places like e.g. a user profile, the what´s new block, search results, ....

Therefore allthough you can add them to the database it is by concept a text field only.

If for example you would want to add icons to the title to make them jump out, there are plenty of other paths to follow.

In addition you will ofcourse increase the security risk if you start hacking around allowing all html tags.

So maybe thinking over the concept would be the easiest.

Just my 2cc
Boris
Vanrillaer.com - our Family Portal

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I think knuff's post is spot on. Do you really want that image to show up everywhere the story is listed?

Also, it's a presentation issue and as such should be solved otherwise (e.g. in the templates).

And if you still want to do it, try searching for 'title' (with the single quotes) in admin/story.php

bye, Dirk

beewee

Forum User
Can't you use the topic image and change the template so the topic image is beside the story title?
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

Robin

Forum User
Hello again Smile
Thank you guys for all advice Its a deal - shaking hands . I thought the easiest would be to show you why I want to include images in story titles. It's because of rdf. I need to create a news block that would display small images next to titles.
I couldn't think of anything else than include images in titles. Banging your head
So you can see the thingy here.
If you have any insight how to achieve this other way please share it with me Very Happy
Thanks again

knuff

Forum User
Hi Robin,

Still unclear with what you would like to get too.

From your example you want the actual image in icon format displayed next to the title.

I see two issues here.
- An icon is an icon and needs to be optimized to be an icon, so basicly as an icon feature I don´t see any real difference between the two,

- It´s gonna get cluttered on the long run.

Solution: Reconsider the topic icons. My Polish is louzy but from what I understand one is USB and the other is a PDA. Why not use the story assignment icon and pull that one up in your theme.

This way you have a good and clean solution and you only need to adapt your style templates.

If this is to limited, I would rather suggest a hack then this option.

Hack approach:
Assign title icon to title
This way you are free to choose where you display it.
If you look at the bottom of your page you see it´s already getting cluttered.

Just again my 2cc
Boris

Vanrillaer.com - our Family Portal

Robin

Forum User
Quote by knuff:
From your example you want the actual image in icon format displayed next to the title.

That's right.
Quote by knuff:
- An icon is an icon and needs to be optimized to be an icon, so basicly as an icon feature I don´t see any real difference between the two,

Well it's actually image (gif) restricted to 25x25.
Quote by knuff:
- It´s gonna get cluttered on the long run.

What do you mean by cluttered?
Quote by knuff:
Solution: Reconsider the topic icons. My Polish is louzy but from what I understand one is USB and the other is a PDA. Why not use the story assignment icon and pull that one up in your theme.

This is not just that easy I'm afraid. Crying or Very sad
OK we have a topic A and under the topic there are stories. Each story is about a different product A
- A1 ------> Image A1
- A2 ------> Image A2
- A3 ------> Image A3

Quote by knuff:This way you have a good and clean solution and you only need to adapt your style templates.

If this is to limited, I would rather suggest a hack then this option.

Hack approach:
Assign title icon to title
This way you are free to choose where you display it.
If you look at the bottom of your page you see it´s already getting cluttered.

If I only knew how Mr. Green
I forgot to add that this image feature in a title is for displaying in news feeds, so it needs to be html tagging as far as I'm aware.

Just brainstorming now Wink What I'm looking for is something like "story icon" similar to topic one. However this looks like a "major" hack Sad

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:54 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content