Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Monday, September 16 2024 @ 04:42 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

change users' comment mode to flat

tstockma

Forum User
I have just changed config.php comment_mode to flat, as my users obviously do not understand threaded (not a community of geeks).

(This change took some research for me to grok, as I changed the setting but didn't know I had to log off my site as admin to see the change, and then was confused when I logged back in as admiin and it "reverted" ...then found all existing users including me had an account preference of "threaded".)

I now wish to change all existing user's accounts...at least, all that are set to threaded (some might have already found this) to flat.

Anyone know of a way with doing this without going into phpmyadmin?

And what table is this setting in if I do go phpmyadmin? (Don't have that working on my server, so painful help calls to ISP may ensue...)

All suggestions and info appreciated!
Tom
www.southparkcity.com

drali

Anonymous
you can change the default in 'config.php'
...and unless they go and change it manually, its gonna make what you choose.

umm...other than that...there may be a way to 'get rid' of the other options....

well..there should be...may be as easy as deleting some code or a couple path names.

tstockma

Forum User
Quote by drali: you can change the default in 'config.php'
...and unless they go and change it manually, its gonna make what you choose.

Thanks for the info, but (maybe my post was too wordy) I've already changed config.php. I am perfectly fine with users who know what they're doing, changing their account preferences to the other options.

The problem is, some (or most) of my existing user don't know what they're doing, and after I changed config.php, their accounts stayed "threaded"...

So I'm wanting to change the existing accounts. (Pretty new site, 29 users.)

Thanks for the comment, tell me please if you know how to admin can change existing accounts!
Tom
www.southparkcity.com

LWC

Forum User
Many people get confused by this.
config.php is the default for new users.

There is no official way to change settings for old users.

Fortunately, you can do it directly via MySQL (usually with the help of PHPMyAdmin).

Just run this SQL command:
Text Formatted Code

update gl_usercomment set commentmod=replace(commentmod, 'threaded','flat')

Although personally I think "nested" beat all of them...

tstockma

Forum User
LWC, that's awesome! Now I know the table and field, that syntax isn't quite right for my version of MySQL so I've got to do some digging...which I'll do. It's been a while since I've done CLI level commands in SQL, this will be a good exercize for me.

BTW since my prevous post, I got to looking at the formats, and *chuckle* have decided 'threaded' will be better than flat...

Thanks again!
Tom
www.southparkcity.com

tstockma

Forum User
Yep, mine needed this:

update gl_usercomment set commentmode='nested' where commentmode='threaded';

Thanks again! Not a single user had changed theirs from threaded...
Tom
www.southparkcity.com

drali

Anonymous
i used to love nested.
i still do.
but i'm having problems with its display in geeklog...
....as things get nested too far to the RIGHT ---> they get cut off. (ie, words on the far right can't be seen)

Is there a way to stop this? anyone else notice this issue?
Right now i switched to threaded to prevent the problem.

tstockma

Forum User
drali, I think you're having the same problem I do...your users just keep hitting "reply to this" after the latest comment they see, instead of knowing how "hierarchy trees" work.

So if you have a comment and 19 more people just hit "reply to this" when they reach the end of the comments, you've got one single tree...looks like a straight slant to the right 20 cells deep on a nested or even a threaded comment_mode.

I'm beginning to see some value in the "threaded" mode, but I think the user base has to be intelligent enough to grok what's going on.

So I'm thinking of modifying the article program so instead of "[ reply to this | report abuse ]" at the end of each comment, you'd something like "[ reply to article and comments | reply to above comment | report abuse ]".

I dunno...I'm also thinking I might change the code so all comments are top-level, so threading just goes away, and user preferences on comment_mode is useless...it's all flat...might start a new question in "General Help" to see if anyone's done that.

Hmm. That'd basically be what the forum, including this one for this question, looks like.

Anyone else following this question at this point? Comments welcome!
Tom
www.southparkcity.com

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:42 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content