Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Sunday, September 08 2024 @ 12:00 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

A visit to CSS HELL HEll Hell hell

Yikes

Anonymous
I was editing one of wooge's lovely themes. When I came across a real problem.

I wanted text in both the left and right blocks to be white. The leftblock template has an id="leftblocks". So I went into style.css and found the #leftblocks tag. I'm a HAPPY CAMPER at this point.

I added a "color : #FFFFFF;" line in there and nothing happened. But when I added it to the ".block" tag it looked fine, but then all text in the admin Submissions, links, etc. screen went white too (making it impossible to see).

What am I doing wrong. Here is the #leftbock entry in style.css.

#leftblocks {
width: 17%;
zzmin-width: 17%;
vertical-align: top;
white-space: normal;
padding-top: 0px;
padding-bottom: 0px;
padding-left: 9px;
padding-right: 0px;
background: #336633;
border-right-width: 1px;
border-right-style: solid;
border-right-color: #000000;
border-left-width: 1px;
border-left-style: solid;
border-left-color: #000000;
}

vinny

Site Admin
Admin
A link to your entire CSS file might be helpfull. Note that in most cases with CSS the most specific style takes precedence. It's likely you have a color somewhere else overriding the value. Since the .block class is within the #leftblocks id, the style for .block will take precedence.

Good luck,
Vinny

Yikes

Anonymous
Thanks for your reply.

I don't have a site online, so I can't provide a link. And you definitely don't want me to post an entire style.css file here. I can tell you that my style.css file is identical to wooge's style.css in his contemporary theme. I just want to change it so it allows white text in the left and right blocks while leaving the .block stuff alone.

It seems you are saying that an ID (like #leftblocks) is less specfic than a class (like .block). Therefore a color designator in .block will override one in #leftblocks. Maybe I should add a .sideblocks class to style.css and then somehow change the leftblocks and rightblocks templates to respond to it.

Does that sound right to you? Or to anyone else?

Yikes

Anonymous
Ah. I think I see a problem. Perhaps someone here can at least give me a little peace of mind and tell me if I am correct or need to think differently.

I added a .sideblock class to style.css defining color as FFFFFF.

The leftblock.thtml file was changed to contain this:

{geeklog_blocks}

Now menu items show up as white (yippie!), but the block text in the poll block, coming events', About Geeklog, What's New, etc. ALL still shows up black.

Do I need to hack GL to put in the tags for all this stuff? (PLEASE SAY NO - but I suspect I do). Is there a way to control the text color of these blocks in css without hacking?

Preciate it.

Yikes

Anonymous
So sorry. The actual contents of leftblocks.thtml are:

Text Formatted Code
<td id="leftblocks">
        <div class="sideblock">{geeklog_blocks}</div>
</td>

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:00 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content