Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, September 19 2024 @ 09:41 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Bug in geeklog's search function?

aaneiros

Forum User
Junior
Hi again. I've been trying to solve a problem with the search function on my page. The problem was (well, still is)
that geeklog's search function can't find words containing Spanish special characters like stress markers
and the n tilde character.

I was just reading about the new chameleon plugin when I decided to visit the web www.geeklog.fr (great looking web,
by the way), then, realizing that French has also some "special" characters I thought I might search for some words containing
then just to see if it worked.

When I look up the word "révolutionnaire", which is on the very first line of the story about the new chameleon plugin, the results are:

Searched for the phrase 'révolutionnaire'. Found 0 items (0.0472 seconds).

Search Results: No matches

So, I realize this is not a problem with my site only and maybe this is a bug in geeklog (??)

Also, I have noticed that the search function does find those words if they are in a story title, but not in the body.

I have tried two different browsers, just in case (firefox 2 and konqueror under linux).

Any comments will be appreciated.

Regards.

jmucchiello

Forum User
I can't recreate this bug. On my system, two different databases (one UTF-8 and one iso8859-1) find the text no problem. Are you using some other encoding?

aaneiros

Forum User
Junior
Quote by: jmucchiello

I can't recreate this bug. On my system, two different databases (one UTF-8 and one iso8859-1) find the text no problem. Are you using some other encoding?

Hi. I'm using UTF-8 and having no problems with geeklog displaying text anywhere else on mi site. The only problem is
the search function.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Can you check how things are actually stored in the database, i.e. that it's using the encoding you expect?

bye, Dirk

aaneiros

Forum User
Junior
Quote by: Dirk

Can you check how things are actually stored in the database, i.e. that it's using the encoding you expect?

bye, Dirk

Well, the fact is that it is still using latin1_swedish_ci for the database and all tables.

However, after creating a local copy of my site and performing all the changes mevans indicated here: http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=3&showtopic=72739&highlight=utf-8, the local database and all tables are set to utf8_general_ci and the site looks perfectly OK but the search function is still showing the same problems.

I was just scared to do all those changes on my live site before knowing if they would work. :-(

In case it helps, I am using a self-made language file for the Galician language (which I translated from english.php), porperly converted into utf-8 using iconv ( including an added $LANG_CHARSET = 'utf-8' ) and gl_ES locale settings.

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:41 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content