Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, September 21 2024 @ 01:24 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Discussion of comment function of Gl 1.6.0b1

1000ideen

Forum User
No clue how to add something to this discussion:
http://project.geeklog.net/tracking/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=869

My 2cent: It is completely o.k. if a notification or a new comment is being made 5 years after the original post. I would not confine this. I think it is rather a matter of the future poster or commenter to decide if his comment will be welcomed after 5 years. Anyway, who knows Confused:

This shows me that there is a need for more discussion of the developements of SOCs in general. How would that be possible that the grass roots here on the forum share the developers thoughts?

LWC

Forum User
Please keep it in one place (which would also increase your chances for a reply there). Anyway, if you really wanted the commenter to decide, you'd support adding a personal "get replies for how long" setting (and then write "click here to get replies for X days" ).

You have to realize users don't actually think they'll get replies forever (e.g. 35 years later). Without a full disclosure, you just cheat yourself that they "decide".

1000ideen

Forum User
Thank you, I`ll keep it separate as they are separate bug reports.

Have you ever seen a forum where you can say notify me of replies for 5 years only? It is not an impossibly idea but I never thought this was necessary. If I get too many replies on a forum posting I go back and tick off the subscription, that`s it, very easy.

Personally I could not say for how many years I`d like a notification. Yes, I have received some of old postings because silly spammers had replied to them. But as I said, I went back and removed the subscription if it happended more than once.

Anyway, it is best to discuss this here on a users level and maybe this is the best result of this all.

1000ideen

Forum User
LWC you also asked
"how deep (level wise) is "Notify me of new replies"? Is it only for direct replies?"

I know another portal xing.com who support both, the notification on direct replies and also replies to the thread / story. In that case you can tick either checkbox or radio button.

Just another idea showing that discussion and further voting or decission making processes with developers here on earth are necessary.

There are 2 subforums entiteled "Developers Only". Should they be renamed "Discussion with developers"?

LWC

Forum User
There was already a reply that it's for direct replies only. I hope it will change in the future, because the whole point is having deep discussions (literally), not shallow ones.

1000ideen

Forum User
I saw the reply but I wondered why you were not protesting LOL

One big problem is that the comments can be threaded and then replies to all threads may be a bit too much. Anyway, I wouldn`t confine it and it is the same situation with xing.com .

LWC

Forum User
Now you understand why the "notify for how long" setting should be joined by a "notify how many levels deep" one... Surprised!

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:24 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content