Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, September 20 2024 @ 10:50 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Beginner's Question: How easy to port geeklog from one site to another?

Rabiul

Anonymous
hopeful
Hello,
I am new to geeklog as well as web publishing. I want to use a web content management system for my site - small and personal (not corporate or enterprise site). I have read about few of this kind of software like joomla, drupal, wordpress and geeklog. I also read that geeklog is easy to operate and good for starting new site. That is why I am interested for it. I do not want to develop or read any inner code/plugin or hack for it in future. I just want to use it easily with few mouse click and entering easy data like MySql data filename, admin name, password etc.

One may think that why do I need to use a content management system. Well, everybody is doing so, so there must be something important in it which I don't know yet clearly now and let's be prepared with the trend Mr. Green. What I feel good is, there is a searching capability of the site, good template - so that I don't have to think to design every pages and the pages are automatically linked to each other.

Now what I want to know that how easy or difficult it is to move a site made with geeklog? Is it easy to copy the geeklog folder of one hosting server and then place it to another hosting server?

Can I have a same geeklog installation folder on my local computer and after editing upload it to the hosting server, regularly?

Thank you.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
A one-time migration is a bit of a pain in 1.5.x right now, but that will be fixed in 1.6.0 (currently in beta).

However, what you seem to be looking for is more of a staging environment, i.e. a way to test out things before rolling them out on a live site. That's not something we really support at the moment.

There are ways around that, using things like the draft flag in stories and/or permissions, but they're not exactly elegant.

What exactly did you have in mind? Is it about content or about adding new functionality that you want to test locally first? There may be other ways, depending on what you actually want to do.

bye, Dirk

1000ideen

Forum User
I compared a lot of CMS like joomla, drupal, (wordpress= blog) and several others. Geeklog is outstanding especially the easy to change layout.

Moving to another server is not really a problem if you know how. It was easier with version 1.4.1 than it is with the current 1.5.x so maybe try a 1.4.1 for now and upgrade to 1.6.0 in the next few weeks?

Rabiul

Anonymous
Thank you all for your reply. I think I should go for Beta Version 1.6.0 if you confirm.
Text Formatted Code

What exactly did you have in mind? Is it about content or about adding new functionality that you want to test locally first? There may be other ways, depending on what you actually want to do.

Ok I try to make it clear. For example this website www.geeklog.net is built with geeklog and all the files, articles, forums, downloads are inside a folder named /geeklog/. Now if you sometimes in future want to change your web hosting company, you just copy/download the "geeklog" folder to local computer, and then upload it to your new web hosting server. At this time I understand there might be some configuration change. I want to how easy or complex is that "configuration change". This is my first question. My second question is, it will be good if I have a geeklog installation on my local computer. I can make and test new pages. Then I want to upload the final page to the server. How can I do this? Can I upload the final page only (the change)? Or do I need to upload the entire geeklog installation with change? Ok, that's all of my questions for now.
Text Formatted Code

I compared a lot of CMS like joomla, drupal, (wordpress= blog) and several others. Geeklog is outstanding especially the easy to change layout.

I did a one-click joomla install. That is nice software. But not suitable for my site as the site is small. I would have to remove many features from it to fit my site. Which needs a lot of reading of user manual and searching the web, that is not possible for me. Hope you have understood Big Grin. Thank you again. Take care.

IAM

Anonymous
Quote by: Rabiul

Thank you all for your reply. I think I should go for Beta Version 1.6.0 if you confirm.

I did a one-click joomla install. That is nice software. But not suitable for my site as the site is small. I would have to remove many features from it to fit my site. Which needs a lot of reading of user manual and searching the web, that is not possible for me. Hope you have understood Big Grin. Thank you again. Take care.

my friend, it's totally difference from HTML web style. when you move one CMS web folder to another host, it's about database.

try another research about CMS and database.

thanks.

xardoz

Forum User
Regular Poster
+1 to what IAM posted: Sounds like you're more in the market for something that uses flat files instead of a database. There are several "lite" CMS/blog options along that vein here: http://php.opensourcecms.com/scripts/show.php?catid=9&cat=Lite

beewee

Forum User
You might have a try with sNews, a single file CMS (and a MySQL database), or a flat file CMS indeed.
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

Rabiul

Anonymous
Thank you very much for the tips. I really did not know that CMS does not save the files in html or ascii format. Now I understand, I should search for a flat file based CMS, as it will be difficult for me to retrieve data from mysql for editing or backup. Beside this I do not like the database system very much, no matter whether it is mysql or anything else. A flat/text file is much easier to handle. Maybe it will take a little more time to process a text file than a database system. But a few micro/nano seconds or a complete second doesn't matter much.

Again, thank you all for your kind advice. Take care.

Best regards.

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:50 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content